Mindblowing vs Ordinary article titles
Few days ago I watched one of my favorite weekly shows, and a scene in there inspired to write this post. Of course there are some articles out there that give guidance on title choosing and construction, but I haven't seen any resource that showcases some really great article titles. Further more, in this article I will also post a few really bad article titles. Finally, there will be a small explanation why you should make your titles as awesome as possible, even though the rest of the article is a simple tutorial, for example.
Lets start with the conclusion
The scene I was talking about happened in a comic book store. The vendor comes up to a regular customer and asks him if he has read the latest issue of Comic X. The client replies that he had not. Then, he finds out from the comic book store employee that it is mind blowing. As strange as it looks, the regular client goes crazy, shouting that the vendor should have told him the spoiler alert phrase, stating that now his mind is pre-blowned and that he cannot enjoy the latest issue of Comic X.
What I am trying to say is that your titles should contain such keywords in order to pre-blow you visitors mind before they read the first paragraph of your article.
10 awful article titles
1. 10 Photoshop Tutorial Sites & 91 Tutorials worth Bookmarking
2. Four Months Later, Facebook Chief Privacy Officer Chris Kelly Confirms Bid For California Attorney General
3. How to Create a Simple, Dark Yet Stylish Portfolio Design
4. 20+ Best Psd to XHTML/CSS Tutorials
5. Facebook Gets Three Times More Efficient At Finding Photos In Its Humungous Haystack
6. 80+ Logo Designers Huge Essential Toolbox
7. The Fantastic Work of Karl Kwasny
8. How to Revise an Email (Revised)
9. TextureVault.net - A Marketplace for Royalty Free Textures
10. A Collection Of Resources For Motion Graphics Addicts
20 awesome article titles
1. 25 Font-tastic Type Resources for Web Designers
2. The Elegance of Imperfection
3. 100 Amazing Futuristic Design Concepts We Wish Were Real
4. The Art of Crafting Beautiful Stylesheets
5. Inspired By A Pile Of Crap, Gmail Adds More Emoticons
6. 24 Amazing Music Videos
7. The Unusual Architecture of Dubai - Part 1
8. 20 Awesome Wolverine Artworks
9. Guess Which Brand Is Now Worth $100 Billion?
10. Ruba: An Online Travel Guide Where Photos Speak Louder Than Words
11. What Makes a Great Logo Design?
12. The Tricky Truth About Downsizing
13. 40 Outstanding CSS Techniques And Tutorials
14. 31 Cool 404 Error Page Designs
15. Ayrton Senna, the Legend
16. Ultimate WordPress Tutorial Collection
17. 10 Incredible Wallpapers from Desktopography
18. The Ugly Truth Behind Starting a Web Design Blog
19. Crazy Cool Collage Works by Michele Senesi
20. You are not a Web Designer IF…
If you liked this article you can subscribe to our RSS feed and stay updated as new articles get published.
Published on Friday, May 15th, 2009 at 9:24 am in writing.
May 19th, 2009 at 9:09 pm
Great post. I love the show you mention, btw. The “client” is frickin hysterical in all his OCD ways.
May 21st, 2009 at 11:26 am
Thanks for your comment. I checked your site by the way, and the latest article about viewing the source of HTML pages on my iPhone is really handy!